- 4 - 6 people Feeds
- 10m Prep time
- 120m Cook time
Capons are a fantastic alternative to traditional turkey and are double the size of regular chickens. These wonderful birds are more moist and tender, and will fit in the oven! Create the ultimate Christmas feast this year with this showstopper bird.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Finely chop the thyme and rosemary and mix with the butter and lemon zest until well combined.
- Use your fingers to separate the skin from the breast of the capon and push butter into the gaps. Push as much butter in as you can, then rub any remaining butter over the bird.
- Place the capon in a roasting tray and add the garlic.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 160C and roast for 40 minutes per KG, or until a probe thermometer registers at least 68C (the temperature will continue to rise when the bird is resting).
- Rest the capon for 30 minutes before serving, covered loosely with foil.