Wagyu Fat Spanish Tortilla
- 1 - 2 people Feeds
- 180m Prep time
- 20m Cook time
A good tortilla is hard to beat and this is probably the best you will ever taste, thanks to the Wagyu fat, which adds incredible depth of flavour. Don’t discard it afterwards! The fat can be strained, refrigerated and reused.
This mixture will make 2 x 18cm tortillas, and you will need a non-stick frying pan.
- 300ml Wagyu fat rendered from 500g
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 700g waxy potatoes, thickly sliced
- 6 eggs
- To render the Wagyu fat, chop it into 1-inch chunks and add it to a large high sided frying pan, with around an inch of water.
- Set the pan over low heat and cook for around 3 hours, stirring every so often. The fat is ready when all the water has evaporated and the fat pieces are making a lot of crackling noises. Strain the fat into a clean container.
- Heat the Wagyu fat in a high sided pan and fry the onions until soft and beginning to caramelise. Remove using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Repeat with the potatoes until the potatoes are completely soft.
- Combine the onions and potatoes in a bowl and mix in the eggs. Season really well with salt - more than you might think.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 19cm or other small non-stick frying pan and set it over a medium heat. Once it has set on the bottom, use a plate to turn it over and back into the pan.
- Cook until just set, so that the warm egg oozes out when it is cut. If you prefer a more set tortilla, cook for a little longer. Repeat with the other half of the mixture.