Barley Miso Marinated Tomahawk with Sesame Cucumber Salad
- 3 - 4 people Feeds
- 720m Prep time
- 20m Cook time
This tomahawk is a spectacular cut that’s perfect for cooking on the barbecue; it’s very large, so you will need the extra space! We have marinated it in miso, which gives a lovely sweet, caramelised crust to the already very flavourful Wagyu meat.
- Combine the miso with the sherry or mirin and mix until smooth. Rub all over the steak, and refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to eat, cut the cucumber in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Cut into slices and place in a colander set over the sink or a bowl. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon sea salt, mix well and set aside for half an hour.
- Combine the sesame oil, black kombu vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and chilli oil. Mix well and pour over the cucumbers. Stir in the sesame seeds.
- Light a barbecue with the coals banked to one side so that you have one hot side and one cooler side.
- Season the tomahawk very well with salt and place over direct heat, flipping frequently until you have built up a good crust.
- Move the steak to the cooler side of the BBQ to finish cooking through, turning regularly. It will take around 20 minutes for a very large, thick steak like this but cooking times will vary for each piece of meat. If you have a temperature probe, you are looking for an internal temperature of around 63C for medium rare, and 71C for medium.
- Rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving with the cucumber salad.